Winter can be a difficult time for families, especially those with young children. The cold weather often makes it difficult to get outdoors and enjoy your backyard, and cabin fever can start to set in. But there are plenty of fun activities that families with young children can do during the winter when it's cold out. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Go sledding: Sledding is a great way to get some fresh air and have some wintertime fun. It’s also a great way to get the kids active; walking back up that hill after sliding down definitely gets some steps in!
2. Build a snowman: Kids love building snowmen, and it’s a great way to get them outdoors in the winter. Why not make a giant snowman and have a family photo shoot? Give them a choice in what accessories to use and let them be creative!
3. Make snow angels: Making snow angels is a fun activity for younger children, and it’s a great way to get them outside to enjoy the winter weather. Make it more fun by hosting a competition, like who can make the most snow angels in 5 minutes!
4. Go ice skating: Ice skating is a great way to get the whole family active during the winter months. Many communities have specific skate times open for family skate, and may even have skates for you to use there! If you don’t have an ice rink nearby, you can also see if your city has an indoor roller rink for a similar experience!
5. Have a snowball fight: A snowball fight is a fun way to get the kids outside and have some wintertime fun. Make sure everyone is dressed appropriately to stay warm, and set some ground rules, like no aiming for the face!
6. Build a fort: Playing in the snow is a great way to get the kids outside and enjoying the winter weather - get creative and build a fort with tunnels, rooms and more! Too cold to think about going outside? Make a fort inside instead, with blankets, pillows and couch cushions!
7. Have a family movie night: If the weather is too cold to get outside, you can always have a family movie night. Pop some popcorn and cozy up with a blanket and watch a movie together.
8. Host a hot chocolate party: A hot chocolate party is the perfect pick me up! Gather a few different flavours of hot chocolate, fun toppings like candy canes & whipped cream, and let everyone put together their perfect hot drink!
It can be hard to think of activities for the family in the cold winter months, but hopefully this gave you some inspiration!